Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Completely Vegan and Totally Awesome Banana Bread



One of my favorite snacks when I was a kid was my Grandma's banana bread. With five people in the family, that meant the loaf would usually be gone within minutes of being cut into. I like to look to my Grandma's food as a standard of what is good food and what is not. I have been making this recipe for banana bread for years now and when compared to my Grandma's, I would say it is right up there if not better.
This bread is moist and springy with amazing banana flavor. Because agave nectar or honey is used instead of sugar, there isn't a cloying sweetness some fruit breads have. Depending on my mood I will add a few dashes of dried ginger, nutmeg and all spice into the dry mix. This makes it smell like Thanksgiving. Just wonderful!

Banana Bread
12 servings
Ingredients:
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup agave nectar (or honey)
3 tbsp canola oil, plus a little more for oiling the loaf pan
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Instructions:
1.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a loaf pan.
2. Mash the bananas and mix with the honey, canola oil and vanilla extract.
3. Stir together the whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt. Add the nuts.
4. Blend the two mixtures and spoon into a lightly oiled loaf pan.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until center is set.
Nutritional Information:
Per serving:
200 calories
8 g total fat (1 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
32 g carbohydrate
3 g protein
3 g fiber
203 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment