Saturday, January 8, 2011

What a sad day for America & Tucson, Arizona

It was at Starbucks this morning. Standing in line, I was scoping out my UberTwtter app on my Blackberry when I saw tweets from people saying a Congresswoman had been shot in the head in Tucson Arizona. I was shocked and sure that it was a Twitter hoax. After checking cnn.com AND foxnews.com I was deeply saddened to find it was real; and that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was near death. Thank goodness as of this writing she was recovering.

Without going into the specifics of the event that I am sure you have read on news sites (read - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47244.html) - I am repulsed by this acts in a very personal way. As you might be aware, I have been involved in politics personally for years now. I was elected to the Romoland School Board in 2007 and was repulsed by the recent shooting in a Florida School Board meeting (read - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maFB5DgZ1pM). This shooting today only furthers my disgust.

I have had been to many functions just like this one. Often I have taken my wife and daughter to meet with congress members, state lawmakers, city councilpersons and to school district functions. Hearing today that a 9 year old girl was shot in front of the Safeway grocery store by this Jared Lee Lautner upset me greatly. This could have been me or my family, it could have been yours.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Congresswoman, her family and everyone else involved in this horrible act. We as a nation need to think about how we act and what we find tolerable as a society. This type of activity is not tolerable in a civilized society.

Hug your kids tonight,

Bill

1 comment: