On Wednesday, July 10, 2013, at 12:55 am, officers from the Menifee Police Department received a report of possible human remains found at a property located in the 33000 block of Helen Lane, Menifee. This location is Terry Smith's residence. Officers arrived within minutes and contacted the reporting party who was a citizen volunteer who had found the remains.
At the scene officers located a shallow grave containing partially exposed human remains. Investigators from the Menifee Police Department and investigators from the Riverside Sheriff's Homicide Unit responded and assumed the investigation.
During the investigation, occupants of the residence were transported to the Riverside Sheriff's Perris Station and were interviewed. As a result of those interviews a sixteen-year-old family member was arrested for homicide. The identity of the suspect is being withheld because he is a juvenile.
At this time the identity of the victim found at the scene is only being identified as a male juvenile who fits the description of Terry Smith. The Coroner's Bureau will release the identity once it has been confirmed.
The Riverside Sheriff's Department and the Menifee Police Department extend their hearts and prayers to the community and all those who passionately sought the safe recovery of Terry Smith.
The following agencies assisted the Riverside Sheriff's Department/Menifee Police Department with the search for Terry Smith:
- American Red Cross
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- California Office of Emergency Services - Chief Dennis Beene
- Riverside County Fire-Office of Emergency Services
- Cal Fire-Riverside County Fire Department
- Riverside County District Attorney's Office
- San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
- Orange County Sheriff's Department
- San Diego County Sheriff's Department
- Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
- Anaheim Police Department Irvine Police Department
- Garden Grove Police Department
- Long Beach Police Department, Search and Rescue
- Sierra Madre Search and Rescue
- Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
- Desert Sheriff's Search and Rescue
- Riverside County Disaster Corps
- Riverside County Sheriff's Posse
- Citizen Emergency Response Teams from Menifee, Moreno Valley, Canyon Lake, Wildomar, Riverside, Temecula, and the Pass Area
- Riverside Amateur Civil Emergency Services (R.A.C.E.S.)
- Lake Elsinore, Perris, and Menifee Explorers
- City of Menifee
This is an ongoing investigation and we encourage anyone with information to contact Investigator Jim Peters at the Riverside Sheriff's Homicide Unit, (951) 955 2777.