Monday, January 18, 2016

NOT THE FOX BUNDYS

WHY RUBY HATES WHITE PEOPLE

Temecula, CA – This second of two special Martin Luther King Holiday special reports again has a cousin reference. When I returned to Louisville at my mother's passing [pp.192, Memoirs] it was a return to the nation's 4th most segregated city [2015 MSN story, chart]. I rolled into town with more than the aura of the esoteric women I had known, I had left the 'hood' as they say and been out in the real world. So I came into a place I was familiar with but was a complete stranger being a new brown face around town.


Though the most poignant times there are in Memoirs, by no means are they even half of my complicated two plus years there. Southern racism was revisited but I was fresh from being a Mississippi River town pot dealer who had business cards, I figured I could handle it. However the hardest thing to deal with was the racial outlook of my cousin Ruby. All my cousins are highly intelligent so conversations on deep subjects turn into debates. I got a letter for debate in high school so this was pig wrestling to an engineer [an in-joke for all you retired shop workers from when this country built things besides the 1%].

One summer day I decided we were going to the rock bottom of this racial issue thing so I rolled a couple of fatties and walked over to my cousin Ruby's West End house. I knocked on the screen door and got a 'C'mon in, Pete.'

After blazing, I threw a saddle on the conversation and rode it into Raceland, coming to a halt with the question, “Why do you really hate white people, Ruby?”

“Because they act so free. Too free. I hate them for it, and I always will.”

Air Force officials in Georgia apologized for using an image of assassinated civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. to advertise a gun shoot.

The 78th Support Squadron put out posters bearing the Nobel Peace Prize winner’s image for a “fun shoot” on the holiday that celebrates his birth.

Robins Air Force base’s Leroy Minus told the Atlanta Journal Constitution that the flyer was created by a marketing team, and apologized for associating the slain leader killed with target practice.

“We realized the inappropriateness of the advertisement several days ago and immediately began removing the flyer,” a statement said, adding that the Air Force did not want to cast the nonviolent resistance leader in a negative light.

The statement said that it was an “honest mistake” but that those involved will receive remedial training.

King was fatally shot by James Earl Ray at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tenn., on April 4, 1968,

The flyer was “like a piece of hate mail,” Rutha Jackson, president of the Houston County, Ga., NAACP, told The Macon Telegraph.



-30-


After our talk that day which ended in a stalemate per my political rebuttal, something happened that fixed cousin Ruby's conviction. She was walking with the light downtown with her child in the crosswalk and was struck by a car. It was a white man, and she saw him smiling. Our roads parted a while after that and I thought, 'Satan won, but I wasn't going to live in the South anyway.'

I returned back to Iowa, re-tooled and re-lit, page 208.

No comments:

Post a Comment